CALL 310-4328


Can I Get Sick From My AC?

The air conditioning system that keeps your home or office cool is a great help when you’re feeling too hot. But does it also make you sick? The answer is a resounding “yes!”. Many people know the symptoms of AC sickness; headaches, weakness, and muscle aches are all common complaints. Other symptoms may include fever and chills. These symptoms may be experienced after just a few hours of being in an air-conditioned room, but they can last for days.

How Does The AC Cause Sickness?
The chilly air that air conditioners produce is not necessarily hazardous. When air conditioners, bacteria, allergens, fungi, mold, and mildew come together, they may cause sickness. Condensation is created as air is forced over the coils of an air conditioner. If the air conditioner is not cleaned regularly, the moisture from this condensation can provide an ideal breeding ground for germs and mold to develop.

Another cause of air conditioning sickness is running an air conditioner too cold. The cold air can cause your nasal passages to shrink, causing blockage and congestion of the sinuses or even the lungs. It is important to keep the temperature of an air conditioner to a comfortable level.

Importance of AC Maintenance
Routine AC maintenance is the easiest and least expensive way to prevent AC sickness. You must know your air conditioner’s maintenance needs and keep up with them regularly.

An air conditioner should be serviced at least once a year. This allows the technician to inspect the AC for mold, mildew, dirt, and dust. The technician will also clean the coils inside the unit and check for proper operation, corrosion and leaks. They will also make sure your unit is running at peak efficiency.

Contact Us Today To Book A Maintenance Appointment
Air conditioners can be a breeding ground for bacteria, fungi, and mildew. Mold spores can grow on wall grills or dust particles in the air conditioner vents. If you notice mold growth in your vents, contact Aire One Heating & Cooling. While breathing in this kind of mold may not cause sickness immediately, prolonged exposure to it can lead to an irritated throat and lung infection.

Call Now