CALL 310-4328
24-HOUR EMERGENCY SERVICE

OUR BLOG

Is It Safe for My Gas Fireplace To Be Left on Overnight?

Although it’s tempting to leave your gas fireplace in Newmarket, Aurora, Keswick, Stouffville, King City, North York and other surrounding areas across Southern Ontario, on overnight, especially during the cold winter nights, the answer is no. It’s not safe to leave it on.

Why Isn’t It Safe?
The biggest reason is that gas fireplaces can release deadly carbon monoxide gas, which is odourless and can go unnoticed until a person dies from carbon monoxide poisoning. It is best to not leave your fireplace on for more than three hours at a time. A fully vented and sealed gas fireplace in North York, Newmarket, Aurora, Keswick, Stouffville, King City, and other surrounding areas across Southern Ontario can be left on for longer periods, but they are still not recommended for overnight usage.

Are There Any Other Dangers?
If you have an unsealed fireplace, smoke can result if the natural gas or kerosene fuel hasn’t completely burned off. Another potential danger is the risk of fire caused by stray sparks. Either way, the danger of fire or smoke inhalation is very real, especially if you keep too close to the fire for too long.

How Can I Keep My Fireplace Safe?
Your first and most essential job is to keep a carbon monoxide detector in the room with your fireplace. If you don’t have one already, you should make that your number one priority to install. In addition, when purchasing a gas fireplace in Keswick, Newmarket, Aurora, Stouffville, King City, North York and other surrounding areas across Southern Ontario from Aire One Heating and Cooling, learn ask your fireplace specialist to further explain the safety pilot light on your gas fireplace. This pilot light can detect your room’s oxygen levels and shut the fireplace off if they get too low.

It is also essential to have your fireplace maintained and cleaned annually to inspect the condition in order to assure your gas fireplace in Stouffville, Keswick, Newmarket, Aurora, King City, North York and other surrounding areas across Southern Ontario, run smoothly. Finally, make sure that you keep flammable objects, like clothes, curtains or furniture, at least one metre away from the fireplace.

When purchasing a new fireplace with Aire One Heating and Cooling serving Aurora, Stouffville, Keswick, Newmarket, King City, North York and other surrounding areas across Southern Ontario, our specialists will run you down on some important safety tips. If you have anymore questions regarding gas fireplaces, contact us today and one of our specialists will be happy to assist you.

Please follow and like us:

Call Now